Sunday, December 26, 2010

(Not mac but) Corn and cheese

I did make macaroni and cheese weeks ago, but then I thought I wanted to have something cheesy yet lighter than pasta. Corn. Sweet corn. So, I substituted the pasta for sweet (or sweetened??) corn kernels.
By the way, my fingers are freezing right now. I wonder if there are mouse and keyboard installed with warmers/heaters. I`ve tried typing with my gloves on. Of course it didn`t work.

Corn and cheese, corn and cheese.
Heat your pot on medium heat and melt butter. Or margarine.


Soon after your butter melted, toss in same amount of flour and stir up. It`s alright if the flour turns into lumps. Just keep stirring.


Then, turn down the heat to low heat, pour (cold) milk in batches into the mixture, and stir up. The flour lumps will gradually dissolve when milk is incorporated.



Now crack an egg in a cup and whisk up. I always think that egg is pretty. The yolk is pretty. I sometimes spend sometime in the middle of my cooking only to admire the yolk. If I were a princess, I would wear this yolk as my crown.


Alright, now we`re going to tamper this egg before adding it into the higher temperature of butter-flour-milk mixture. So, bring a laddle of the mixture, touch the laddle to the cup wall, gently let the mixture flow in through the wall  (this will slightly lower the mixture`s temperature before finally touching the egg), and whisk up.


Do this several times until you think the egg looks much paler, well combined with the milk, and ready to pour into the pot. Still on low heat, gently pour the egg into the milk and stir up. You`ll see the milk getting creamier with the egg.


 Now, The Cheese. Toss in your favorite cheese to the pot. I use what I have in my fridge. Natural cheese, gouda, and cheddar. I have no idea what exactly natural cheese is (I always assume that every kind of cheese has a name), but it gives a mozarella-like texture when it`s baked. And it`s cheaper than real mozarella.



 When cheese is completely combined, season with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg. Stir well.


The Corn. The main cast comes the last. If it`s frozen, let it sit at room temperature for a while, or rinse with hot water. Squeeze out excess water with kitchen paper and dump it into the pot. Stir well and adjust the taste if necessary.


Start to heat up your oven at 190 C and get a casserole dish and pour in half of the corn mixture. Just half. Because...


....Olive wants to serve this to her beloved Popeye. Alright, you can certainly skip this item, but I just want something leafy and green in my corn and cheese. So, spinach it is. I just washed fresh spinach, drained, stir-fried it with a bit of olive oil until wilted (steaming will do great too), and drained the juice (I was thinking to drink it in the name of nutrition fact, but I didn`t). So if you want the spinach too, top the corn with the cooked spinach.


 And pour in the remaining corn and spread some cheese for the crust later.


Bake it at 190 C for 35 minutes and Popeye gets his corn-spinach-cheese.
Yum yum. The outside is crusty and the inside is creamy. It`s corny and cheesy, in a good way of course.


Ingredients:
For  20x20x6-cm dish

Butter/margarine, 3 tbs
Flour, 3 tbs
Milk, 2 cups

Whole egg, beaten, 1
Cheese, grated, 120 g
Sweet corn kernels, 500 g
Cooked spinach
Cayenne powder
Nutmeg powder
Salt and pepper

Bake in preheated oven at 190 C for 35 minutes

2 comments:

  1. Corn and cheese? Yum! My husband doens't like mac and cheese but he loves corn. I think he would gobble this right up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it`s somehow less filling than mac and chese is, but I hope you both like it!

    ReplyDelete